It’s your favourite afternoon tea cake, in a cupcake! I made these Battenberg cupcakes half pink and half blue for a baby shower, but you could go for the traditional pink and yellow. They look great when you take off the case to reveal half and half colours!
My cupcakes in the photo are topped with favours from Lovemarzipan, making them extra almondy and extra yummy!
- 175g margarine
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 140g self-raising flour
- 50g ground almonds
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Pink and blue food colouring
For the icing
- 150g margarine
- 300g icing sugar
- 20g ground almonds, sifted
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs then the vanilla and almond extract until mixed.
- Fold in the flour, ground almonds and baking powder until mixed.
- Separate the mixture into two even bowls, then add a few drops of pink colouring to one bowl and blue to the other, until you have the right colours.
- Fill two piping bags with each coloured mixture, using a large circular nozzle. Pipe a little pink batter into one half of every cupcake case, then swap to the blue batter. Repeat this once more until your cases are full.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until they are cooked and springy to touch.
- Make the icing by beating the margarine and icing sugar together, then added the sieved ground almonds (which stops the larger lumps from getting in the icing).
- When the cupcakes are cool, pipe the icing and top with a favour from Lovemarzipan if you wish!
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food’s Battenberg Cake