It may rule out the usual ingredients of butter, eggs and cream, but dairy-free baking isn’t nearly as hard as it looks! This recipe for vegan chocolate brownie cupcakes from BBC Food uses your normal storecupboard ingredients with one added extra – sweetened soya milk – which you can find in most supermarkets. And best of all, they taste delicious!
- 170g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 170g caster sugar
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- 230ml sweetened soya milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Put 12 cupcake cases into a tin.
- In a bowl sift together the flour, salt, cocoa powder and sugar.
- Add the oil, soya milk and vanilla extract, and mix carefully together until completely mixed.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12 cupcake cases, until each one is around two thirds full.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed.
- Leave to cool for five minutes, then take out of the tin and place on a wire rack.
Recipe adapted from BBC Food Vegan chocolate brownies